Monday, June 14, 2010

More job hunting...

I think I went to the wrong school. I was one of those people that couldn't afford an education. When I graduated High School, I started at the local community college, but lost interest after 2 quarters, and dropped out. After a couple years of not making anything resembling money, I went back to school, and basically got straight A's until graduation with my Associates. I was able to secure a job at Hewlett-Packard, and I thought I was done.

After several years at HP, I found that I really needed my Bachelor's degree to get along further in my career. I went to Regis University because they allowed people to go once a week for 8 weeks to finish a class. There was a ton of homework, but for people who work, the accelerated program really worked well. The problem was, there were no internships since you were supposed to be in a career already.

Well, 3 classes shy of my degree, I was laid off. Boom, no more job. I was able to get a Software Quality Assurance job and finish school, but since I didn't have an internship I had no way of breaking into a programming job. With no experience comes no position, even with schooling. The viscous cycle continues.

I've been trying to break into a junior level development job for 6 years now, and I'm starting to lose hope. I moved to Florida in hopes of starting anew with new companies, thinking my 13 years at HP would make a difference. It doesn't.

Life has really been a downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment